Thread: Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy

Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy

Hi Mummies and Daddies,
    My wife is currently in her first Trimester and having bad nausea and vomiting symptom.
    The doctor prescribed both diphenhydramine and Zofran(ondansetron)to my wife, later to be taken if the symptom persist after consuming the 1st drug.

However, as a Kiasu Dad in an internet savvy society, i went to google more on NVP and I thought probably i should share this with fellow Mummies and Daddies.

An extract

Guidelines published online August 19 by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and in the September issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology review the evidence on diagnosing and managing nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.

Among the new guidelines, replacing those from 2004, are updates on widely known treatments. The combination of doxylamine and vitamin B6, which was taken off the market in 1983, is back and has been proven safe and effective. ACOG says the combination should be considered first-line pharmacotherapy.

For ondansetron, the review includes a list of medications that patients taking the drug should avoid. Although some studies have shown an increased risk for birth defects with early ondansetron use, other studies have not, and the absolute risk to any fetus is low, according to the review. As with all medications, the risks and benefits should be weighed in each case.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/849872

I went to google further and found out The Canadian has being using a drug recommended which is safe for pregnancy since the 80s, called Diclectin and in U.S. it is called Diclegis (same company, same drug, different trade name)

I tried to google it in Singapore but i could not find any information. Any Mummies or Daddies know any Obstetrics that prescribed this product?
    Thank you in advance!

Cheers

So i tried to do some research and found an interesting study.
    Thought probably i should share it.

https://www.dovepress.com/doxylamine...t-article-IJWH

Anyway i am still in the midst of finding an Obstetrics who prescribed this drug.
    It's better for my wife to have a proper diet and better quality of life during 1st trimester with the availability of safe recommended drug.
    Moreover I read a mild morning sickness can become severe if ignored resulting in adverse effect such as hyperemesis. Will it also affect the womb?

Do kindly advice if anyone had been prescribed with Diclectin/Diclegis.
    Thank you.