Thread: My gynae says baby doesn't need any nutrition from mum in first trimester

My gynae says baby doesn't need any nutrition from mum in first trimester

Hi mums,

I'm in my 11th week now. My preggy life hasn't been very good since 5th week when I found out that I'm pregnant. Having serious MS and literally can't keep anything down. Only surviving on fruit juice and 3, 4 spoonful of solid a day. I can't drink formula milk as well. Can drink fresh milk on some good days. Since my friends either can eat well or those who suffered from same severe MS can at least drink formula milk, I'm paranoid that my baby won't get enough nutrition when it is critical time for him. However, my gynae just give me folid acid and nothing else, also said it's ok not to drink formula milk. She says just drink water with honey or sugar. Having 1.63m height, 45.3kg seems to be really underweight and I'm getting really worried. Shall I beg my gynae to give me prenatal vitamins? Please advise!

with thanks,
    desperate mum-to-be

Quote Originally Posted by PreggyMay View Post
    Hi mums,

I'm in my 11th week now. My preggy life hasn't been very good since 5th week when I found out that I'm pregnant. Having serious MS and literally can't keep anything down. Only surviving on fruit juice and 3, 4 spoonful of solid a day. I can't drink formula milk as well. Can drink fresh milk on some good days. Since my friends either can eat well or those who suffered from same severe MS can at least drink formula milk, I'm paranoid that my baby won't get enough nutrition when it is critical time for him. However, my gynae just give me folid acid and nothing else, also said it's ok not to drink formula milk. She says just drink water with honey or sugar. Having 1.63m height, 45.3kg seems to be really underweight and I'm getting really worried. Shall I beg my gynae to give me prenatal vitamins? Please advise!

with thanks,
    desperate mum-to-be
    You can just buy your own prenatal vitamins if you are concerned but that wouldn't help much for MS.

My gynae does the same. Only Folic acid and progesterone (Duphaston). Was told that during first trimester these are sufficient. Now into my early second trimester and gynae says can stop folic acid and Duphaston before week 16. I lost weight during my first trimester too and gynae assure me that baby is growing well. It's ok to have little appetite, just eat small meals and many meals, just like a baby. Basically I eat my meals at 2 hours interval each. Need to start taking fish oil, calcium and vitamin cause baby is now building up its bones and vital organs. Protein is very important too. Formula milk is not a necessity as normal fresh milk or soya milk is good enough.

Prenatal vitamins and foods rich in folic acid are essential for mom and baby's growth in first trimester. My OB recommended it to me during my pregnancy. You can discuss about it with your OB.