Thread: TTC and seeing Dr. Peter Chew (Gleneagles)

TTC and seeing Dr. Peter Chew (Gleneagles)

Hi folks.

I'm seeing Dr. Chew for a few weeks now as suggested by one of my colleagues. She told me Dr. Chew is a famous doctor for fertility treatments. As i am trying to conceive for months now so i totally trust her judgement about Dr. Chew.
    During my last visit, Dr. Chew thinks i have endo.

Anybody who went through that experience? Can you share your experience and the total cost as well if possible.
    Thanks.

Hi there Meiko.
    I understand what you're feeling right now.
    I'm scheduled for internal pelvic exam next week because Dr. Chew also thinks that i have endo. Has he told you to undergo the same examination to find out if he is right with his diagnosis?

In my case, I already suspected that i have endo because of dysmenorrhea. My periods are always very painful.

Quote Originally Posted by meiko_36 View Post
    Hi folks.

I'm seeing Dr. Chew for a few weeks now as suggested by one of my colleagues. She told me Dr. Chew is a famous doctor for fertility treatments. As i am trying to conceive for months now so i totally trust her judgement about Dr. Chew.
    During my last visit, Dr. Chew thinks i have endo.

Anybody who went through that experience? Can you share your experience and the total cost as well if possible.
    Thanks.

Hello meiko. I had an experience with Dr. Chew before for my endo problems. I had fibroids which needed to be operated immediately. While operating on me, a polyp was also found which he removed too. After that i went through a D&C to make sure that everything has been taken out. If i'm not mistaken i think we spent around $5k for the procedure alone plus $3k for hospital charges. It was really expensive but we trusted him that it was for my own good and also so i will get pregnant successfully.

After those procedures, still nothing has happened. I'm still childless until now.
    We decided to stop seeing him because he has been suggesting a lot of very expensive treatments lately. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to do everything even if want to. I also find him too busy accommodating more patients that he tends to forget his other patients. I'm not saying he's not good. I just don't like the way he treats his patients as a milking cow. Sorry for the term.

Haha. I feel you fiffy.

My husband and i think that Dr. Chew is somewhat sales oriented because he advised me to undergo awfully expensive treatments after treatments within a month interval. As much as we are ready to do anything just to conceive but we thought Dr. Chew's approach is too much.

I remember one time, i asked him about other means of curbing endo instead of doing GnRh but he told me there is no other best option other than that. Trying to find ways to save the expenses, i then asked him about having TCM and he frantically shook his head.
    The pressure of conceiving successfully and the cost of the treatment is taking its toll on me as well as my husband.

You are absolutely right Ella.
    When i told my husband about the treatments suggested by Dr. Chew that i 'must' do, he was horrified. I told him Dr. Chew is a good doctor and we have to trust him so my husband agreed. But after several tries of the treatments he suggested no result have come out of it. I heard that he suggested lap to most of his patients and it made me worried. Not sure what his real intentions are. Perhaps most of his patients needed to do the lap but i can feel that he is always after the money rather than the welfare of his patients.

Hi girls.
    Recently i learned that ectopic has many ways to get cured. For instance, i read that you can have the Methotrexate jab instead of doing a lap for ectopic pregnancy.
    However, Dr. Chew had already done a lap with me on the same day he found out that i have that condition. He did not even give me time to reconsider or think about his suggestion. I was very hesitant when he did the lap but he was determined to do it on that day. Had he given me time to think it over i would have known that there are other options.

On top of that, he was unable to give me concrete answer if my tubes are clear or still blocked. Instead he told me to have the HSG test. To undergo lap on the same day unexpectedly was really awful and there he comes suggesting i undergo another test. I'm completely doubtful with his ability right now and think that he will do anything for the sake of money.

Quote Originally Posted by mickm View Post
    Hi girls.
    Recently i learned that ectopic has many ways to get cured. For instance, i read that you can have the Methotrexate jab instead of doing a lap for ectopic pregnancy.
    However, Dr. Chew had already done a lap with me on the same day he found out that i have that condition. He did not even give me time to reconsider or think about his suggestion. I was very hesitant when he did the lap but he was determined to do it on that day. Had he given me time to think it over i would have known that there are other options.

On top of that, he was unable to give me concrete answer if my tubes are clear or still blocked. Instead he told me to have the HSG test. To undergo lap on the same day unexpectedly was really awful and there he comes suggesting i undergo another test. I'm completely doubtful with his ability right now and think that he will do anything for the sake of money.

That's exactly the same scenario with me Mickm. When i was under Dr. Chew I never failed an appointment with him. I was a good patient, listening closely to his instructions, following all what's being said and still i have no results. I went through several treatments with him too.

I think he is too preoccupied at times. There is a very long waiting time before i get to talk to him and when i enter the consultation room he is out of nowhere. That means i need to wait some more. Dr. Chew is a type of doctor that gets angry when being challenged. Like i said from the beginning i was an obedient patient but when i started to have doubts i started to ask him questions just for clarification but he seemed annoyed. After i did a lap on him, he suggested immediately that i undergo HSG test. I told him about the theories i read from the internet and he just wouldn't listen.

The final toll was when he suggested i do IVF without checking if my husband's sperm is normal and healthy. I did a lot of reading and found out that the sperm must be in good state otherwise, IVF will be useless. So i stopped seeing him when he insisted on IVF.

Hi all, would like to share my personal experience with Dr Chew. I just had my 3rd miscarriage on 1 Dec. I went to see Dr Peter Chew during my 2nd pregnancy as I was spotting and wanted a change of gynae.

During our first visit, we found him to be very personal and warm. He warded me in hospital as I was spotting and put me on bedrest thereafter. Injections and hormone pills were given to me to try to support the pregnancy. However, the pregnancy ended and he performed an evacuation of the womb for me. The procedure incl. hospital charges amounted to about $4.5k (the first D&C i did was $700). Then, we didn't think much of that as we were too tired of the miscarriages.

For my 3rd pregnancy, he advised us to visit him as soon as we find out that I am pregnant. So i went to him after i tested positive. He put me on bed rest and gave me injections and hormone pills to try to support the pregnancy. But same thing happened and we had to do the evacuation again. This time round, we were pretty annoyed by the way we were treated by the clinic.

First, he kept forgetting that that was only the 2nd miscarriage and we had have 1 healthy child. But he could remember other things that interest him.

Second, he told us that he could do the evacuation on the same day and told the assistant to arrange for it. His assistant booked the Operating Theatre and tried to book his Anaesthetists contacts but none were available. We overheard the conversations as the assistant was making the calls at the counter. Then Dr Chew called us in and told us that the procedure could not be done on the same day as they could not book the Operating Theatre. We found this very unprofessional. Just because he couldn't get hold of his Anaesthetics friends, he lied. As we still needed him to do the procedure for us, we just LL and left it as such.

When we received the final bill, we saw that he increased his surgeon fee from $1.9k to $2.2k and charged an additional doctor's attendance fee of $321 (even though that line item was being struck off when they first showed us the charges) when it was a day surgery and he didn't even visit me in the ward after the operation. The total bill amounted to around $5k. My husband called up the clinic to check on the basis of charging the doctor's attendance fee and the first thing the clinic assistant asked was whether I was warded. When my husband said no, she went on to say that it was Dr Chew's style of charging. Then when further queried, she changed her statements by saying that it was for the histology charges (this was not correct as when I went back to see Dr Chew for my review, he told me that the culture for the chromosome tests could not be done as there was no villi to culture and told me to make sure that we weren't charged for that).. My husband was very angry by the way she handled the situation, and when she panicked, she just passed her the phone over to her colleague without informing him. We felt that was very unprofessional and rude. To be honest, we are going to claim insurance for the procedure but it was a matter of principle. Thereafter, my husband wrote an email to the clinic and Dr Chew called him up the next working day. Initially he said that there was a error in charging and would refund us the money, but a while later, he called again and said there was nothing wrong with the bill.

Not only that, we had to pay $150 (excl. GST) for him to fill up a page of insurance documents and he said it would take a week, but it took 2 weeks, and it was only after my husband wrote in that e-mail that they expedited it. When we went to collect the insurance documents, we wanted to just leave after collecting it but the clinic assistant told us to wait as Dr Chew wanted to speak to us. After waiting for some time, she said no need to see him and told us to leave. It was really very unprofessional of him. Personally i feel this is not right, how would you feel if you are the patient suffering 3 losses and have to get such treatment from the clinic. Initially we didn't mind paying more as we thought he could help us and we would get better services. We would not be going back to him..

This is just my personal experience with him and i just wanted to share..thanks for hearing me out.

I went to visit Gleenagles Hospital as walkin patient, and the front office give me Dr. Peter Chew for my Gynaecologists bcos he the only one have free spot at that time. This is my first time visit Gynaecologists as I just found out that I'm pregnant. Waiting for an 1 hour and 15 minutes until we finally to see him. He interview me and my husband how our life style (food and our activity). date of my last period and something else I cant remember. Then time to check my self. He stick something into my vagina to check inside, and he said i am pregnant for 5 weeks. After that he promote his book that he claimed has a lot of information about pregnancy , food, sport etc. He wrote 1 of the article there. If we buy there price its cheaper than if we purchase is from book store. He also promote his Seminar on that day for pregnant woman stuff too at Newton Area, again there is fee to come to the seminar. He explain the picture oh his clinic wall that he meet pope and have been bless by Pope. He offer me a vitamin for me and the baby, but my husband refuse it. Im not ask why but I got the point, I am not happy with his service at all. I tell my self I need do some search about Gynaecologists in Singapore and move out from Dr. Peter Chew while I still in his clinic. After finish meet Dr.Peter Chew, the nurse outside ask me to pee in small tube. 10 minutes later the nurse give us the bill for $247 and give me pregnancy test and said to me "here your stick , you are pregnant" ... YES I KNOW IM PREGNANT. I check before I come here the way exactly like you did just now, sticking pregnancy test into my urine. Please dont play with pregnant woman, we suffering from up and down emotion already. Well i still upset when I wrote this comment haha.