Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue about smoking

Issue about smoking

Hello all. I'm pregnant for 5 weeks now and i'm guilty of smoking. Husband keeps on telling me to stop but i find it hard to quit because he smokes too so i lack the will to do so. I know lots of people will think that I'm a bad mother but i am really trying my best to quit smoking. I am fully aware of the danger it will cause to the baby i'm carrying but to quit smoking is harder than stop eating my favorite dish.

Somebody help me please ...

Hi Kyendys, although i don't smoke in my entire life but i understand what you're going through.
    My mom was a smoker but stopped a few months after when she was pregnant with me. Thankfully, i'm pretty normal - no disabilities or other complications as a human being. Another fact is that she never stopped smoking when she was pregnant with my brother and he is doing well now. Healthy as a cow. Lol!

I'm not saying it's good to smoke while pregnant, i'm just showing instances where one could be lucky and the other can be unfortunate. Whatever the result is, it's the mom's responsibility alone so i hope you're prepared for it.

Hi there kyendys ... i can see your desire to quit smoking but your determination is affected because your husband smokes. I'd say it would be great if your husband will quit smoking along with you even temporarily. If that's the case i don't think you will be tempted to smoke. If he can't then perhaps ask him to smoke when he's not at home. I'm sure he will understand, it's for your baby's sake anyway.
    Have you tried doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by kyendys View Post
    Hello all. I'm pregnant for 5 weeks now and i'm guilty of smoking. Husband keeps on telling me to stop but i find it hard to quit because he smokes too so i lack the will to do so. I know lots of people will think that I'm a bad mother but i am really trying my best to quit smoking. I am fully aware of the danger it will cause to the baby i'm carrying but to quit smoking is harder than stop eating my favorite dish.

Somebody help me please ...
    Hi there, how about doing it gradually? Minimizing your consumption until you stop completely. I read somewhere that if you gradually quit smoking until 14 weeks it's still safe for the baby. But if you occasionally smoke even a single stick beyond the 14th week then your baby is more prone to complications. You don't want that, do you?

Anyway, i was a smoker too but when i got pregnant with my first child, the will to stop smoking was so great that looking at a cigarette stick made me puke. I think it was the baby's doing, helping me to keep him safe.

Hi mummies and soon-to be,

My wife and i were smokers before we have our first baby. When she was pregnant with our son, i was remorseful because she gave me the condition that she will only stop smoking if i did the same thing. Of course it was so hard, like really hard but we came to a point where we don't care about anything else other than our baby. She was bleeding heavily during the first tri and we thought it was because of smoking. Realization hit us really hard that time. I occasionally smoke right now but my wife have stopped smoking for good and knowing it feels really great.

It really depends on your decision as well as your husband. Give it a thought together and evaluate all the pros and cons and what's the most important to you as soon to be parents.

Stay safe.

Hi there kyendys,

How are you doing?

My sister had the same problem with you when she got pregnant. I used to nag her to stop smoking because it's bad for the baby but she just wouldn't do it. I think she grew rebellious everytime i tell her to stop. So i stopped nagging at her when i accepted the fact that she will never stop but lo and behold! she literally quit when 13th week arrived. Luckily, her baby is healthy and no signs of complications even if she smoked the entire first trimester.

Hi,

I have a friend who smoke her entire pregnancy but delivered a very healthy baby boy even if he's quite small for a baby. I think it's best if you will consult your gynae about it. Be honest and tell her/him about your issues with smoking.

Hello kyendys, I have been to that road before. I used to smoke at least 30 sticks a day but when i found out i was pregnant, i cut back to 5 or 6. I knew it was still too much for a pregnant woman but i really prayed hard that i have the will to quit totally. When morning sickness turned so bad after 4 weeks that i vomit every thing i put in my mouth, that was when i stopped smoking. Right now, i have 2 kids and occasionally smoke like 1 or 2 in a month. Both are healthy by the way.

Hi there,
    I will not tell you to stop smoking because i know you know you have to especially you're pregnant. If you search through the internet and read forums like this, you will find out that smoking is not the only factor that endangers your little one. In fact, there are numerous stories about mummies who smoke through their entire pregnancy and end up having healthy babies. I just want to tell you that it really depends on you. Whether you quit or not is okay as long as you will be responsible with the consequences in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jetaime View Post
    Hi there kyendys ... i can see your desire to quit smoking but your determination is affected because your husband smokes. I'd say it would be great if your husband will quit smoking along with you even temporarily. If that's the case i don't think you will be tempted to smoke. If he can't then perhaps ask him to smoke when he's not at home. I'm sure he will understand, it's for your baby's sake anyway.
    Have you tried doing it?
    Hi jetaime, you have a good point there. Thanks!

I haven't tried asking my husband to quit smoking too because i know how it feels to be told to stop doing what you love. However, for the sake of the baby, i will try to tell him in the most considerate manner and see what he thinks about it.

I hope he will not get mad at me though.

Wish me luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast