Thread: Is it okay to drink coffee occasionally?

Is it okay to drink coffee occasionally?

Hi MTBs,

I'm a coffee drinker and i can't seem to stop myself from drinking even if i'm 9 weeks pregnant. Gynae told me to stop drinking it while i'm pregnant because it's not good for the baby but i always forget about my condition the moment i smell the aroma of coffee.

Somebody sneaking some coffee under the table like me?

Do you think it can harm the baby even if we drink it only on occasional basis?

Hi there! What type of coffee are you drinking?
    I heard instant coffees are okay (of course on occasional basis) but brewed coffee is a no-no.
    My friends had the same dilemma when they were pregnant. I'm glad i don't drink coffee before i got married.

Hi joanneklx, i drink instant coffee because husband will not allow me to drink brewed ones. I'm getting stubborn nowadays. I always pray to give me the strength to avoid coffee but it seems like i'm easily tempted.
    I drink instant coffee at least twice a week.
    Hope it's okay. I haven't told my gynae about it though. I'm afraid she will scold me for not listening to her.

Quote Originally Posted by iyven View Post
    Hi joanneklx, i drink instant coffee because husband will not allow me to drink brewed ones. I'm getting stubborn nowadays. I always pray to give me the strength to avoid coffee but it seems like i'm easily tempted.
    I drink instant coffee at least twice a week.
    Hope it's okay. I haven't told my gynae about it though. I'm afraid she will scold me for not listening to her.
    That's okay. I think 2 cups in a week is not bad.
    However, i suggest that you start thinking of giving up on it totally just at least for 9 months. Why not replace your cravings for coffee with milk? It's much better for the baby especially if you're planning to breastfeed.

What can you say about it?

Hmm, to be honest i've been thinking about it but can't really say no when i smell coffee. I don't like asking my husband not to drink coffee in the morning because he might feel like i'm depriving him. One of these days i'm going to drink milk when the urge of drinking coffee comes. Hopefully i will succeed.

Wish me luck

Hi Iyven, i don't drink coffee at all but i love to drink soda or eat some ice cream. I know they're not good for the baby is why i only have them when i can't control myself anymore, usually once a week. I think it's not that bad.

Hello all.

I think no coffee for pregnant women is only a myth or one of the superstitious beliefs of our old folks. I used to drink a lot of brewed coffee when i was pregnant with my first child and baby came out healthy and strong. There are no signs of disabilities or whatsoever our elder claim to happen when you drink coffee. Her complexion is not bad either. Perhaps it's true but maybe in a case-to-case basis.

I don't encourage pregnant women to drink coffee by sharing this experience. I just want to let you know guys that it's okay to drink if you can't control yourself. I'm worried that baby will get angry if you won't satisfy your cravings. Lol.

Hello ladies,

I'm in 3rd tri and so far i'm drinking tea, coffee, soda and other cold drinks because i feel thirsty and heaty all the time. Both gynae and husband are really trying hard to convince me that those stuff are not good for the baby. But everytime i go for my appointment, gynae always told me baby is doing well inside so i'm not alarmed. I hope baby will not grow too big though.

I wasn't aware that i was pregnant for the first 8 weeks so i still keep on drinking coffee in the morning and several times the whole day when i'm at work. I think i consumed at least 5 cups of coffee every day. But when i skipped menstruation i tested at home twice and confirmed that i was pregnant, i started taking less and less coffee everyday. I tell you it was hard work and too much determination to control my cravings for coffee but in the end i know it was worth it. Baby is well. She's about to celebrate her first birthday next month. Isn't it wonderful?

According to AAP(The American Academy of Pediatrics) and LLL(La Leche League International), moderate consumption of coffee while breastfeeding is fine.

Every baby is different. If you strongly believe that your baby becomes cranky after you have drunk coffee, it is suggested that you cut down your amount of coffee consumption and see whether it makes a difference.