Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to eat and what not to eat when pregnant?

What to eat and what not to eat when pregnant?

Hi mummies,

After waiting for a year, I'm pregnant. I'm currently in my first tri and still in the process of looking for a gynae.
    Meanwhile, I would like to hear some suggestions from fellow mummies to be about the food that should and shouldn't be eaten by pregnant women.

Looking forward to read some replies soon.
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissyyeo View Post
    Hi mummies,

After waiting for a year, I'm pregnant. I'm currently in my first tri and still in the process of looking for a gynae.
    Meanwhile, I would like to hear some suggestions from fellow mummies to be about the food that should and shouldn't be eaten by pregnant women.

Looking forward to read some replies soon.
    Thank you very much.
    Hello Chrissyyeo. Congratulations!

I'm pregnant too and close to full term. You can eat anything you like as long as they're healthy. Most common food to avoid are raw foods like sushi and sashimi. If they're one of your favorites, i'm afraid you have to forget about them for a while. Also try to avoid dishes that are internal parts of animal like liver. Great food consist of vegetables, lots of fruits and cooked ones. It's always nice if you can cook at home or someone who can do that for you to ensure they're safe. Not experiencing morning sickness yet?

Yes that's true. Raw foods are a no-no when you're pregnant because they are more prone to contamination and your immune system is down so you can get diseases easily. Best advice i can give is eat anything moderately. What are you craving right now?

Hi ladies,

I'm curious. Most of my friends are telling me not to eat bitter gourd but they didn't offer explanations.
    I don't want to ask my gynae about it too because i'm afraid she will find me silly.
    Does anybody know why?

I'm 8 weeks pregnant by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilian_ho View Post
    Hi ladies,

I'm curious. Most of my friends are telling me not to eat bitter gourd but they didn't offer explanations.
    I don't want to ask my gynae about it too because i'm afraid she will find me silly.
    Does anybody know why?

I'm 8 weeks pregnant by the way.

Hello Lilian,

Don't be afraid to ask your gynae about anything that concerns about pregnancy. That's the reason why they exist.
    I haven't heard about avoiding bitter gourd when pregnant but there is nothing wrong if you believe your friends. If you have doubts then there are other fruits that are safe to eat. Mostly you can eat a variety of fruits except durian because they are too fattening and banana for the cooling effect.

On the other hand, it is advisable to eat bird's nest because many believe that it is good for the skin and can make your baby healthy. They are expensive but they're sure worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin View Post
    Yes that's true. Raw foods are a no-no when you're pregnant because they are more prone to contamination and your immune system is down so you can get diseases easily. Best advice i can give is eat anything moderately. What are you craving right now?
    Jasmin I am really craving for tuna sashimi but my husband is not listening to me. Haha.
    Good thing I posted my concerns here. I have been wondering why husband insists that sashimi is not good for me. It's hard to believe him because he doesn't experience getting pregnant so i thought he was bluffing.

What are other dishes that i need to avoid? Can I eat watermelon?

Hi fellow MTBs, is it true that we have to avoid eating big variety of fish? Why can't we eat durian?

I appreciate your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
    Hello Chrissyyeo. Congratulations!

I'm pregnant too and close to full term. You can eat anything you like as long as they're healthy. Most common food to avoid are raw foods like sushi and sashimi. If they're one of your favorites, i'm afraid you have to forget about them for a while. Also try to avoid dishes that are internal parts of animal like liver. Great food consist of vegetables, lots of fruits and cooked ones. It's always nice if you can cook at home or someone who can do that for you to ensure they're safe. Not experiencing morning sickness yet?
    Hi Geraldine, so far I don't have the morning sickness yet although i'm a little bit dizzy sometimes especially when i suddenly stand up.
    Thanks for your suggestions. Yeah, hubby is buying me fruits everyday. Our house looks like a fruit stand now that there are so much fruits in here. Haha.

As to the cooking at home, i can do a bit but i'm usually feeling tired so my husband tries to wake up early and cook something for me. We are planning to get some help, perhaps my mom or his just until this is over.

Thankfully, I am not a big fan of raw foods. I occasionally eat sushi before so i don't have problem avoiding it now. But i feel thirsty all the time and often imagine a glass of ice-cold coke. They said it's not good too.

Hi Happykae,

Durian can make you fat as well as your baby and it's not ideal to have a huge baby, otherwise you'll have a difficult delivery. That's the main reason why durian is not good when pregnant. Of course you can eat some but once you taste a little tendency is, you will crave for more so it's best to avoid it altogether rather than regret in the future.

In my case, i find it hard to avoid durian because it's one of my favorite fruits. It was like a torture for me but I earned my reward for self-control when i delivered my baby like a breeze.

Big fishes too are not advisable because they have higher mercury content. I'm sure you know what mercury is all about.
    Tuna and stingrays are two of the examples.

Chrissyyeo, you can eat watermelon. If you can, avoid buying a slice in the market because we don't know if they have contaminated bacteria from air from too much exposure outside. Buy them whole and slice it at home. That way you will know it's fresh.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast